In an interview with the Winnipeg Jets’ Kristi Hennessey, club prospect Mark Scheifele got the chance to do what every young Canadian dreams: beating up some Russians.
No, but seriously, the hockey blood between these two nations is bad, but it’s kind of fun. It’s nice to tell Americans, “No, but, really, you don’t know how much we hate Russia.”
It’s not helped by the fact that the Russian juniors have beaten Canada (dramatically and emphatically) in the last two World Junior Hockey Championships, first in the gold medal game in 2011 and then in the 2012 semifinals. The Russians haven’t minced words in those post-game victories, and Scheifele didn’t miss a chance this time.
Canada defeated Russia, 4-2, in the final Game 4 to tie the series at two games apiece. And then, Ryan Strome scored the overtime winner in that dramatic overtime tie-breaker you can view above.
“A lot of the guys from last year had that bitter taste in their mouth from losing to them and losing in the finals two years before that. There is some anger, you want to beat them and show them what you have. That rivalry will always be there because they are two great hockey nations and they both want to show that they are better.”
Okay, well that was a little softer than we’d hope for. Come on, Scheif! Let it fly! These guys hate you! One of them is very happy to admit it, and he’s playing in Edmonton next year! You’re in Winnipeg!
But, really, nice job, guys.
White Cover Staff
White Cover Magazine is the "foremost" source for "male" and "female" things in the world today. Kind of. We have Sports. Movies. Arts. (What are Arts?) Television. Music. And, of course, a critical look at everything in the world of Journalism, Sports Journalism, and News at large.
Popular on Facebook
- Could Mumford & Sons Get Any More Loveable? wp.me/p2YaL5-N4 26 minutes ago
- I want it to be sunny. And I want to live all day in a Bud Light Lime commercial. 2 hours ago
- Are the Ottawa Senators Really Canada's Team? Well, They Better Be ow.ly/2x8K1G 21 hours ago
- What say you, Canada... Are the Ottawa Senators your team, or is it too late to ask?... fb.me/1aiwsAWEJ 22 hours ago
- Lindy Ruff. Marc Crawford? Guy Boucher, or Dallas Eakins. Who's the frontrunner for the Vancouver Canucks' head... fb.me/AcPnbUiW 22 hours ago
Add Widgets (Tertiary Sidebar)
This is your Tertiary Sidebar. Edit this content that appears here in the widgets panel by adding or removing widgets in the Tertiary Sidebar area.