Yea, yea, we know the L.A. Kings are about to win the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. No big deal. Nobody’s watching, anyway.
There was, however, and interesting “rumbling” today in the world of hockey, and it came from the fingers of ESPN’s lone hockey Insider, Pierre LeBrun.
From LeBrun’s Cross Checks blog:
“Several teams have already expressed an interest regarding Jordan Staal (from Pittsburgh), but I believe the Hurricanes will be aggressive in trying to trade for him, with the idea to have him on same team as his brother, Hurricanes captain Eric Staal.”
Interesting stuff, Pepe.
Of course, LeBrun notes that Pittsburgh is focused on signing Staal to an extension. He is the Penguins’ X-Factor, after all, and his ability to play almost any position in almost any situation lets Crosby and Malkin run wild knowing that their third line can handle the heat.
But, if Jordan does go to Carolina, it’s safe to say the Hurricanes could become an instant threat.
Hockey teams rise and fall like families in America, and the addition of one or two players can take you from the conference basement to the Stanley Cup. That is how the ‘Canes won the Cup in 2006, after all, and it’s how the New York Rangers jumped from eighth in 2011 to first in 2012.
And, hey, the L.A. Kings are about to become the first eighth seed to ever win the Stanley Cup. If the Hurricanes can grab the second oldest (and second youngest) Staal, they may be able to make a serious run next year.
Or, at the very least, they’ll be able to prolong Tampa’s and Winnipeg’s pain a little longer.
White Cover Staff
White Cover Magazine is the "foremost" source for "male" and "female" things in the world today. Kind of. We have Sports. Movies. Arts. (What are Arts?) Television. Music. And, of course, a critical look at everything in the world of Journalism, Sports Journalism, and News at large.
Popular on Facebook
- Are the Ottawa Senators Really Canada's Team? Well, They Better Be ow.ly/2x8K1G 10 hours ago
- What say you, Canada... Are the Ottawa Senators your team, or is it too late to ask?... fb.me/1aiwsAWEJ 10 hours ago
- Lindy Ruff. Marc Crawford? Guy Boucher, or Dallas Eakins. Who's the frontrunner for the Vancouver Canucks' head... fb.me/AcPnbUiW 10 hours ago
- We agree. It's hysterical. Alain Vigneault is gone and Patrick Roy is in Colorado, which could mean both teams... fb.me/1JlgIE5xW 10 hours ago
- Counting down - or up - the Best CBC Hockey Night in Canada Montages Ever:... fb.me/N1ZnEy9F 10 hours ago
Add Widgets (Tertiary Sidebar)
This is your Tertiary Sidebar. Edit this content that appears here in the widgets panel by adding or removing widgets in the Tertiary Sidebar area.