|A shot of Brian Williams speaking to Harry Smith (right) during the inaugural episode. (Photo “courtesy” of Hollywood Reporter)|
Call me impatient, or just call it the end of November (both are true), but I am still expecting more of Rock Center, which has just finished the airing of its fifth episode.
Brian Williams‘ new show was billed as the newsmagazine to save all newsmagazines, and the promos had it looking half-Murrow, half-Carson (as contradictory as that is). It was set to be a glorious, one-hour Monday night bastion for the intellectual good fight, and it would save the state of journalism in the United States and this country, Canada (Vancouver counts, right?)
And yet, we’re left wanting. The Jerry Sandusky story has riveting, disgusting and – most importantly, perhaps – the kind of content that a newsmagazine should focus on. There is nobody better on a given night than Bob Costas, and Brian Williams is too talented as an anchorman and, apparently, a host.
There have been other bright spots:
- Harry Smith’s profile and portrait of Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel, a man who once mailed a dead fish to a political opponent
|He’s the Ed Murrow of the 21st Century, and he’s got some sick flow, but Brian Williams is having trouble guiding torn sails through stormy seas.|
White Cover Staff
White Cover Magazine is the "foremost" source for "male" and "female" things in the world today. Kind of. We have Sports. Movies. Arts. (What are Arts?) Television. Music. And, of course, a critical look at everything in the world of Journalism, Sports Journalism, and News at large.
Popular on Facebook
- Thursday's NHL Stars: Raffi Torres, Mike Gillis, and the Calder Cup ow.ly/2wXhxC 6 days ago
- Top 11: The Biggest Superstar Sports Stars to Ever Play in Vancouver, Canada ow.ly/2wX9TB 1 week ago
- In honour of David Beckham, we present the 11 Greatest Superstar Stars of Sports to Ever Play in Vancouver:... fb.me/19Yt4FVpW 1 week ago
- Can anyone tell us what Raffi Torres did wrong?... fb.me/Bt8T5vsM 1 week ago
- Thursday's NHL Stars: Raffi Torres, Mike Gillis, and the Calder Cup wp.me/p2YaL5-MM 1 week ago
Add Widgets (Tertiary Sidebar)
This is your Tertiary Sidebar. Edit this content that appears here in the widgets panel by adding or removing widgets in the Tertiary Sidebar area.